Monday 3 January 2011

5 is the new 10 for 2011

After careful deliberation and much soul searching I have decided to change my film-rating system to 5/5 rather than 10/10. Before your cries for my blood and accusations of "sell-out", consider my 3-fold reasons:

1 - 10 is rather unwieldy and confusing. The differences between a 6 and 7 are fairly indistinguishable. Plus, I rarely have the heart to give a film below a 3, even a film as epically dire as Skyline, though I would willingly give it a 1 out of 5. Such is the underestimated complexity of film reviewing!

2 - For a film to receive 10/10, in
my head it must be the kind of film that only Jesus himself could have made. On the other hand, there are a number of films that would be worthy of a 5, though they would still require an impressive Moses-like effort.

3 - Empire magazine scores out of 5 and I want them to like me.




No comments:

Post a Comment