Saturday 16 October 2010

Let Me In - Interview

Let Me in – Interview

Back in sunny Sheffield after my shenanigans at London Film Festival. By far the highlight was getting the opportunity to interview Director Matt Reeves (Cloverfield) and star Kodie Smidt – McPhee (The Road). Co-star Chloe Moretz unfortunately stood me up do to work commitments with Mr Martin Scorsese (that old excuse hey!).

Let Me In is a remake of Swedish critical hit Let The Right One In, a story of a young boy befriending a young girl, who turns out to be a vampire. Full review will follow.

Matt, your remake follows the original narrative almost to the letter, even to the point of setting it in a snowy town. Were you not tempted to tell your own version of the story?

This was our attempt to do another telling of Lindqvist’s story, which is what first attracted me. I didn’t want to change the story, I was moved to tell this coming of age tale as Lindqvist writes it.

This version is more of a horror that the Swedish version. Was coming under the re-invigorated Hammer company an influence on the film?

It was more a influence on ME! As a kid, the old Hammer films, with Christopher Lee etc, always scared me. I remember watching them on late night TV through my fingers. However, in style this film is more naturalistic, along the lines of the Shining and The Exorcist, rather than the gothic feel of the old Hammer films.

What was your favourite Hammer film?

Horror of Dracula

Given that the success of the film rests largely on the two central performers, how difficult was it to find the right actors?

It was very difficult. They needed to be able to handle the emotional complexity of the role, so that adults will relate to them. There is a key scene that I had Kodi read, where he is on the phone to his dad. It could have easily descended in to melodrama, but he read it in such an understated and believable way that I cast him immediately.

Is it true that you hadn’t seen either The Road or Kick-Ass before casting Kodi and Chloe?

Yes, that’s true! Both films were in post-production and so were unavailable. But their auditions were in another league.

Kodi, you were brilliant in the film, standing out for your genuinely disturbing and brilliant portrayal. Who inspires you most in your acting?

Definitely my dad. Him and my sister are both actors and so it was kind of normal for me. It started off as fun and then got places really fast.

How much preparation did you do for the film? Did you see the other film or read the book?
I didn’t know there was a book until halfway through filming! Matt didn’t want us to see the film – he didn’t want us to copy anything. We were doing our own take on it.

Matt, could you identify with the coming of age aspect of the film?

I was massively bullied. My parents were going through a divorce, I was really confused, and had a real sense of isolation and humiliation. Its hard growing up, trying to make an identity for yourself.

How did you manage to find your identity?

I started making 8mm films as a way of making friends. I got them to act in my movies. That was my escape – I could be James Bond or anyone I wanted to be.

Did your experiences affect your telling of the story?

I think it meant I didn’t shy away from any aspect of the story. I wanted to show the love story, juxtaposed onto the violent vampire story, as well as this sense of innocent childhood alongside fantasising about revenge. The power of the tale is that the actions aren’t excusable but you can see the humanity in them. It is disturbing, provocative and beautiful all at the same time.

How far did you push the young actors?

Matt: I like to do a lot of takes which they enjoy but it is exhausting

Kodi: It was hard but doesn’t even compare to The Road. I had to sit in freezing water for hours on that movie!

Kodi, Chloe is pretty, which you must like, but she could also kick your butt! What was it like working with her?

Awesome. She always has so much energy and is always happy. She would be working late and covered in blood but never stopped being happy.

She ever show you any judo moves or anything?

Matt/Kodi: She did!!!

So she threw you around a bit?

She scared me! She’s a ninja!

Finally, Matt, any news on Cloverfield 2?

No news!

Oh, ok.

1 comment:

  1. Great interview... Loved that you got more into the directors own life story rather than just the usual bumpf about a movie! Sounds like you had fun interviewing too! Nice one!

    ReplyDelete